Last Wednesday I was reading blogs in bed before I started my day. I haven’t felt the urge to bake lately. Not that I ever really feel the urge to bake, but everyone once in a while a recipe comes along and I think, I have to make that right now! This was one of those recipes. It was for these one bowl carrot apple muffins from the Minimalist Baker. She had me at one bowl and suddenly this gluten-free, vegan carrot bread was born.
So I went downstairs and got started only to realize about half way through that I didn’t have all the ingredients. But, what I ended up creating tasted delicious enough to share. Please click on the link above if you want to original recipe but here are a few of the substitutions I made to prove that this recipe is adaptable as it is delicious.
I omitted the brown sugar completely because I didn’t have any.
I replaced the brown sugar with an additional tablespoon of maple syrup and added one full banana instead of the called for 1/3 cup to add sweetness.
I used applesauce because I had just enough leftover that needed using up.
I swapped the almond meal for cashew meal.
I didn’t have gluten-free flour (!) so I used 1/4 cup of gluten-free pancake mix and 3/4 of a cup of brown rice flour. I was worried about this substitution but the bread turned out great. It did crumble a little while the bread was warm but held together fine after it cooled.
I added a teaspoon of allspice.
I used almonds instead of walnuts.
Oh, and grease the pan before you make this. I didn’t add it to my directions but it’s an important step!
It may seem like a lot of substitutions but I assume the overall taste is pretty similar to the original recipe. I gobbled this up for breakfast and as snacks over the last couple of days. I recommend it with a little butter or apricot jam, if you have some.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flax seed meal + 4 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 mashed banana, I used a frozen banana that I thawed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup + 1 additional tablespoon
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2/3 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/4 cup cashew meal
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup gluten-free pancake mix
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Combine flaxseed meal and water, let stand 5 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients from olive oil through carrots, stir well.
- Next add flaxseed egg, oats, cashew meal, brown rice flour, pancake batter to carrot mixture, stir until well combine.
- Top with slivered almonds.
- Let cook for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Enjoy and Exhale!