My body has picked up a very bad habit. I go to bed and fall right to sleep, then around 3am I wake up and can’t get back to bed. During my usual hour of being awake I think about WalkJogRun articles and recipes. If I go down the work rabbit hole I’ll never fall back asleep so I try my best to avoid thinking about my to-do list. Instead I dream up recipes for gluten free chocolate zucchini muffins and butter beans with rosemary mustard sauce and build balancing sequences for my classes. It’s a very productive hour, if I can remember it in the morning.
Luckily, this morning I woke up remembering everything. It helped that when I opened the fridge, this thing was staring back at me.
It’s one of two massive zucchinis that we picked over the weekend from our garden. I used one of them for southwestern stuffed peppers and zucchinis last night, which were delicious.
But that left another one to use so before 8:30 this morning I was grating away. To make these…
These muffins can best be described as hearty. I ate two for breakfast and they held me over well until lunch around 1:30.
They’re made with oat flour which gives them an almost whole grain texture and taste. The only sweetness is from a little bit of sugar, which also makes them taste a little bread like, which I really liked. I added ground ginger and cinnamon, which complimented the chocolate well and although the zucchini is a little masked, you still see that touch of green which reminds you that these muffins have a little bit of healthy goodness in them.
- 1 tablespoon flax seed meal with 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup oat flour (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt, I used vanilla flavored but you can sub plain
- 1 cup grated zucchini, water squeezed out
- 1 tablespoon almond milk or 1 extra tablespoon of yogurt
- 2 tablespoons vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Add water to flax seed meal and let sit for 5 minutes to gel.
- In the meantime, mix oat flour through cocoa powder, combine well.
- Next add vanilla, yogurt, zucchini, almond milk and chocolate chips. Stir batter well.
- One note on the zucchini, once you've grated it, make sure to squeeze out the excess water. It doesn't need to be completely dry but you don't need all that juice in your dough.
- Grease muffin tin.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 of the way up with batter. I didn't use liners and the muffins didn't stick.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
Enjoy and Exhale!